Friday, May 2, 2014

Among the Tamaracks


Across the road, still part of the property is a large field. Its backdrop are gorgeous tamaracks. Each morning the sun rises through these beautiful trees.  The morning moment is one that I look forward to and try to witness daily. A couple mornings ago, I decided to go out into the field and walk around before sunrise. It had been cold and storming, fog was still hovering over the fields which seemingly wrapped around me as I walked.   Usually, I sit in my living room and watch the beautiful sun rise above these magnificent trees and witness the light reaching all the little hidden dark places of between the branches and the field. The moment is always peaceful and refreshing. I thought for sure witnessing it outside would be the same. A sunrise service between God and I.

Despite the quietness of our home, the sound coming from all the different birds and creatures as a whole was almost deafening.  As I walked through the field for a moment of peace and solitude, I was instead greeted by the chaos of sound. It was not what I expected. Dumbfounded by the level of sound, my first instinct was to cover my ears and start to walk back towards our home.  Instead, I decided to intentionally focus on what I was listening to. I was able to drowned out all the sounds and listen to one bird at a time. The moment became much more enjoyable.

I was reminded by the moment among the tamaracks that life is a choice of chaos or intentional focus.   I have to be able to pick who I am listening to and with intention choose which activities are going to be the most beneficial and productive for my family. Boundaries are often difficult to set, often because we don't want to hurt other people's feelings, but they make the journey so much more enjoyable.

Choose love and be blessed wildly,
Wendy
 

2 comments:

  1. u said it well. so well! perception. its been a recent theme in life right now. life is such a series of lessons when you really begin to live it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right about it being important to "pick who you listen to". I have to do that better. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete